Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Road

Cormac McCarthy is a brilliant American writer and arguably the best today. Not only is his work amazing literary works, but he also has mass appeal. Maybe you've one of his other works; All the Pretty Horses or No Country for Old Men?
Recently however I finished The Road. This is a novel set in a post apotlyptic age and is at it's core a story about the relationship between a father and his son.
Although there is little driving plot lines in the story, that is also why it is so creepy and scary. The father and son just walk down a road. Now they do have some obstacles to navigate through and there is a goal in sight, but these are elements that only build the hopelessness of their world and the destitude nature of their lives.
I don't want to share too much, in case you haven't read it, but do trust me and get to this one soon. Read it before the movie comes out.

1 comment:

kris said...

Okay Trevor--this book looks somewhat interesting. I'm looking for a good fiction book club selection to use at my book club. But, I must say that it sounds a little boring. Please tell me that it can hold our interest.