Thursday, September 18, 2008

Dizzying Chase of The Goose - Part 1


I, too, am reading Mark Batterson's Wild Goose Chase, and I have to admit that I'm not breezing through it as quickly as I typically do. I wish I could blame my slowness on the writing, but alas it is in the depth of God's work on my heart through this book that has me turning the pages slowly.

I mean it's not War and Peace. It's not even the length of a Harry Potter book. At a mere 192 pages, Wild Goose Chase is altering my life outlook on each page. Because I am not easily changed; this is not a quick read for me. I find myself pouring over the pages, anxious to read Mark's next insight or ministry moment from his non-building-bound church in our nation's capitol, but then I'm stunned by each new revolution.

Could it be that God has pressed "pause" on my life in ministry because I've chosen to fill my life to the brim with responsibilities? Wow. Not that taking responsibility in life is a bad thing. Unfortunately for me, as I've taken on more and more responsibilities in life, I've left less and less room for/energy for/passion for ministry opportunities.

Is it possible that being a creature of habit, predictable to a fault, can stifle my relationship with God? True relationship isn't in the routine of everyday; it's in the meaning of each thing we do.

Another confession... I haven't finished it yet. :)

God and I are having tough conversations about "What does this mean for me?" I'm getting there, but I'm sure as soon as I get to the end I'll need to start right back at the beginning!

...still chasing the Goose!

1 comment:

theodude said...

Mark Batterson has become one of my favorites to check out from time to time...(I have a link to his blog from mine). While I haven't read this one yet I have received his summaries from each chapter through e-mail and am eager to dive into this one.